Monday, January 12, 2015

Whole 30 Week 1 Round Up

The first week of the Whole 30 Challenge always goes by fast but it is hands down the worst week.

I didn't cheat at all but boy did I want to! I had so many cravings and thought about all the food I couldn't eat nonstop. I'm pretty sure this is normal but it was literally the only thing on my mind.


I can't remember exactly what I ate each day but here are some of the meals I ate this week:

Breakfast:
Hard boiled eggs
Fruit
Maple Bacon Sausage Patties
Almond Milk Banana Smoothies

Lunch/Dinner
Mason Jar Salads
Pork Chops
Bacon & Brussel Sprout Salad
Salsa Chicken Tacos (I used Stupid Easy Paleo's tortilla recipe)
Kale Soup
Sweet Potato Pasta with Salsa Chicken
Salsa Chicken and Veggie Stir Fry (Sweet Potato Pasta instead of noodles)
Spicy Chicken Legs

With lunch and dinner I often had extra veggies, olives, avocado, or fruit on the side!

Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry 

Chicken Tacos

Now for a few tips to help you get a head start throughout the week:

Tips:
1. Mason Jar Salads: Make a few of these on Sunday so you have something to grab for lunch or dinner during the week when you are in a hurry. These are super easy to make and Lexi's Clean Kitchen has some delicious recipe ideas if you want to spice them up a bit! Just be sure to leave out the cheese if you are doing the Whole30.

2. Hard Boiled Eggs: These are always a good thing to have on hand. I often make a dozen of them each week and peel them ahead of time. I can then easily grab them for breakfast, add them to a salad, or eat them after a workout.

3. Meal Plan: Meal planning is essential during the Whole 30 and will set you up for success. Even though my schedule is always changing, I like to have a list of meals that I know I have all the ingredients for. There are a ton of meal planning templates available online but I always just write down what ingredients I have on hand and then go through cookbooks, choose recipes, and then make a grocery list.

4. Make Extra: If you cook meal by meal, you will be spending a lot of time at the stove and a lot less time with family and friends. If you cook meals in double or triple batches, you can eat the leftovers for lunch the next day or change up the recipe so it's something new. For example, I made a huge batch of Salsa Chicken and used it for chicken tacos, put it on top of sweet potato pasta, and ate it by itself.

I hope that these meal ideas and tips help you during your Whole 30 challenge or inspire you to start! Eating and following a lifestyle that is sugar, fat, and processed-free really can be delicious!


Question of the Day

What Whole 30 tips do you have?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...