Friday, September 26, 2014

Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars

Things have been pretty hectic around here. I am watching 4 kid this week (along with a few other helpers) while their parents are on vacation in Mexico! The past two days I had the evenings off so I was able to get some important things accomplished. One of those important things being baking.

I found a Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bar recipe online but I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand so I had to tweak it a bit. I was pretty nervous as tweaking baking recipes is very different from tweaking cooking recipes but it turned out pretty good!



I probably should have taken a picture of the individual piece I ate to show you how pretty the layers were but I ate a few pieces too many and it's gone now... The crust was definitely my favorite part! The pumpkin pie filling wasn't very thick and the texture reminded me of cool whip. If I make this again I will try and make the filling a bit thicker so it's more like pumpkin pie.


Ingredients

Pumpkin Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
4 tbs raw honey
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1/4 tsp salt

Pumpkin Pie Filling
(1) 15 oz can of pure pumpkin
1/3 cup pitted dates, pureed in a food processor
1/3 cup raw honey
1/2 cup almond milk
2 eggs, whisked
2 tbs coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Grease an 8x8 pan
3. Combine crust ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well by hand
4. Tightly press the crust dough into the bottom of the pan
5. Bake the crust 15-20 minutes. Then let cool (put in the fridge to help quicken the process)
6. In a medium saucepan, whisk all of the pie filling ingredients together
7. Cook the pie filling over medium heat. When the mixture starts to bubble, cook for 2 more minutes.
8. Remove the pie filling from heat and pour over the cooled pie crust.
9. Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon over the top of the pie filling.
10. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving. Keep extras refrigerated.








Baker's Note

Your pumpkin pie bars will come out much better if you have a really fluffy kitten laying at your feet while you are baking!



 If you haven't entered my giveaway yet, make sure you do so! It ends Sunday 9/28 at midnight!


Question of the Day

What is your favorite pumpkin dessert?



1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...